Tax Guide

Get answers to all your questions about taxes, personal finance, insurance and more.

Can I use my last paystub if I don't have my W-2 yet?

You shouldn’t file your return without an official Form W-2 because it’s likely that the information included on your last paystub isn’t complete. You can use your last paystub to start the filing process, but you shouldn’t send your return until you’ve received your W-2, to check that the information is correct.

If you don’t have your W-2 by January 31, contact your employer. If you still don’t have it by February 14, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 with:

  • Your name, address, Social Security Number and phone number
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number
  • The dates you worked for the employer
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld
Ready to file your taxes? Start Free!