Tax guide

Get an Extension

How Do I Get a Tax Extension for More Time to File?

Need a few extra months to file your income tax return? The IRS offers a six-month extension to file if you can’t make the April 15 tax deadline (giving you a new deadline of October 15). The official extension form is Form 4868.

For this year's deadlines, see our IRS Tax Dates page.

Do I have extra time to pay my taxes owed if I file an extension?

Unfortunately, no: An extension will give you extra time to file your return with the IRS, but it won’t extend the amount of time to pay any tax due. Tax due has to be sent to the IRS by the original deadline; after that, you could owe interest and penalties.

Can I get a tax extension online?

Yes. To file an extension, just sign in to your account and click the “Get a Federal Extension” button on the main page of your return.

You’ll need to fill out the Name & Address screen, then select whether you expect a refund or you expect to owe tax. The extension only gives you more time to file, not to pay—so anything you owe will still be due by the original deadline. If you don’t know whether you have taxes owed or a refund, we can help you determine whether you need to include payment.

If you want to include a tax payment, you’ll have the option of paying from your bank account or credit card, or you may choose to mail a check.

When you’re through making your selections, you’re ready to e-file the extension!

Sign Up

What if I have time to file my return but don’t have the money to pay?

If your return is done, but you can’t pay the full amount of tax due, don’t ask for an extension. Just file anyway, and pay as much as you can with your return. The IRS will send you a bill or a notice for the balance due. You may qualify for an installment payment plan, which you can apply for online.

Feel good about taxes with

Don’t want to file an extension? With, the tax-filing process is simple and fast so you don’t have to worry about pushing the deadline—plus, our price is always $25. No matter when you file, you get the same awesome flat rate, so sign up or sign in and file your taxes today!

It’s not too good to be true. See what others are saying about filing taxes online with