Table of Contents
You got this—all you have to do is start!
We make filing taxes delightfully simple with our flat–rate price. Every feature included for everyone.Start filing
More Tax Guides
The Head of Household status is designed for single persons with dependents, but in some cases, married persons can claim the Head of Household filing status.
To qualify for the Head of Household filing status while married, you must:
- File your taxes separately from your spouse
- Pay more than half of the household expenses
- Not have lived with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year
- Provide the principle home of a qualifying dependent
- Claim an exemption for your dependent
If you meet all of these requirements, you may file as Head of Household while married.